Originally our Parish formed part of the Parish of the Good Shepherd, Balmoral, and was served from there, Mass being held in the Owairaka School Hall. Over the years the population of the district was expanding and, envisaging the future growth, His Grace Archbishop Liston in 1948 purchased five acres of land stretching from Richardson Road, down across the gully to Stoddard Road.
In 1951 Father Charles Quinn, who had spent some 13 years in the Parish of Grey Lynn, was appointed to take over the newly formed Parish of Owairaka with the first Mass held on the Feast of Christ the King, in October, 1951, at the Owairaka School Hall, with 75 persons present.
Early in 1952, the opportunity arose to acquire an adjoining five acres of land to the original purchase. The new property was formerly a poultry farm and the Old Homestead, Rose & Grimson, vacated a factory which was on the property. The very first job was to build a church, since Owairaka School Hall was still being used. The factory was dismantled and, using salvaged materials from the factory, and working mainly with voluntary labour, a church was erected on the old foundations. The church was opened and blessed by His Grace Archbishop Liston in February, 1953.
Father Charles Quinn
Second Christ the King Church
The church was built to hold 200 people, but with the influx of new families it was obvious by the end of 1959 that extensions would have to be made. Plans had been drawn up for the extensions (which would have increased the seating capacity of the church to 400) and tenders had been called for, when on 4th May 1960, occurred the disastrous fire which, in a short time, destroyed what had been a labour of love for so many.
And then we planned to build again. The loss of our church was a grievous blow, but it had strengthened our determination to build a new church to the greater Glory of God. In the meantime, the old Parish Hall was doubled in size, again by voluntary labour, and used as a temporary church. Then in June 1960, the planned giving development was introduced.
Bishop Liston in a message to the parish wrote: “I feel it is going to be the good answer for you and your people to the large and unexpected problems of the present time. It will bring in a steady income to meet and dispose of all obligations, and it will deepen in the generous hearts of priest and people their sense of unity and just pride of achievement, such will be God’s reward for your sacrifices in giving.”
Then twelve years later in June 1972, our new beautiful church was opened by His Grace Archbishop Delargey, then Bishop of Auckland. The final chapter in the building programme was written when, as a result of the efforts of a hard working Parent Teacher Association, a new hall was completed and opened in 1976.
The fine buildings that form our Parish centre are tribute to the generosity and co-operative spirit of our early parishioners and to the man who guided and encouraged them through many difficulties, the late Father Charles Quinn, Parish Priest 1951-1980.
Second Christ the King Church
Third Christ the King Church
During his last twelve months, Fr. Quinn was assisted by Fr. Bernard Dennehy who remained as administrator after the death of Fr. Quinn until the appointment of Fr. Martin Bugler as Parish Priest in February, 1981. Fr. Bugler left the Parish in 1982 and Father Raymond Green arrived in 1983. The Parish continued to grow and is now three times the size.
In 2002, there were necessary changes in the parish due to the construction of the Southwestern Motorway that affected the School, the Presbytery, and the Office block. This resulted in the construction of the new parish school, presbytery and church.
Bishop Patrick Dunn blessing the third Christ the King Church
Inside the third Christ the King Church
In December 2007, Fr. Raymond Green, our Parish Priest, became a Monsignor with the blessing of Pope Benedict XVI. The following year, 16 November 2008, the new Church was opened and blessed by Bishop Patrick Dunn.
Fr. Peter Tipene was appointed Dean of the Cathedral of St. Patrick and St. Joseph (Auckland) on Wednesday, 1st February 2017. On Saturday, 4th February 2017, Fr. Benedict Francis became the fifth Parish Priest of Christ the King.
On Sunday, 6th February, 2011, Msgr. Raymond Green became Pastor Emeritus and the vibrant Fr. Peter Tipene became the fourth Parish Priest.
Parish Priests / Administrator
1951 – 1980: Fr. Charles Quinn
1980 – 1981: Fr. Bernard Dennehy (Parish Administrator)
1982 – 1983: Fr. Martin Bugler
1983 – 2010: Msgr Raymond Green (Pastor Emeritus 2011 – 2015)
2011 – 2017: Fr. Peter Tipene
2017 – Present: Fr. Benedict Francis
2003 – 2004: Fr. Alex Kapiarumala
2005 – 2006: Fr. Pat Littlewood
2006 – 2007: Fr. Michael Endemann
2008 – 2009: Fr. Tony Dunn
2008 – 2009: Fr. Ofa Tauelangi
2009 – 2011: Fr. Maliu Tofu